RSS
Journey With Me Through the American Film Institute's Top 100 Films. A movie a day. Experience for a lifetime. At least that's what we're aiming for.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Godfather...for now



69MTHG6XZZZE
OK so this one will be pretty brief for the time being. I figured I would run into several movies on the way that I've seen no less than 10 times each. Though The Godfather isn't one of those movies, I'm pretty sure I'm close to the 8 or 9 count. As a fan of movies and TV in general, it would be equivalent to a sin had I not seen AFI Number 2 the Godfather before, but safe to say, no Judas here.

Classic. I'm sure many would agree, even if they haven't seen the movie, just because the name is so familiar. Everyone imitates it, poorly mainly, but still. It's good enough that your local bum to the CEO of AIG is talking in a soft, scratchy voice almost unlike that of Marlon Brando's artistry: "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse," and other memorable quotes. Honestly, that quote intimidates me in itself. Cake? Cake's a good offer and who can refuse cake? That's what I always hope, that Marlon Brando would offer me cake.

Now here's a man with power, and he knows it! It's funny if you think about it: Citizen Kane had one man who was strong willed and didn't want anything to do with political leadership. In the Godfather, the character is split in two: Vito Corleone, the leader, boss of bosses, very big ring and slick hair; and Michael Corleone, war hero, wants to be a politician and not be involved in the "family business," still pretty slick hair. And bam! Guess who kills a couple guys, hides out in the old country and comes back kicking butt and literally taking names, a list which you do not want to be on? "Michael" is the answer for those of you who missed that rhetorical question.

Personally, I like the spectrum of the Corleone family. I love how you can see Vito's love for his own family, the strength in Sonny, the honesty in Michael, the fear in Fredo and the compassion to take in Tom. It's beautiful really.

Another thing to note is how young everyone is! I mean, really, you look a them now and they're all soo old. I guess time does that to you.

Oh, and Diane Keaton, that's what you get when you marry into an established immigrant family...just deal with it, they'll watch your back, just don't get into their business, OK? Good.

Familia is a valuable thing and this movie definitely emphasizes that point, 'cause even the bad guys have families. All in all, great movie, great lines, great actors, and great movie-photography (cinematography).

So that's all for now until I decide to sit down and actually watch the movie again. "Don't ask me about my business." Enough said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment